LD_PROFILE with glibc-2.4 on mips-linux

Van Horne, John
Hi,

I am using glibc-2.4 on MIPS with:
  binutils-2.16.91.0.7
  gcc-4.1
  linux-libc-headers-2.6.12.0
and I am trying to profile a shared library. I have a simple test
program with an executable called proftest which links dynamically with
a library, libwait.so. On my MIPS system I do:

export LD_PROFILE=libwait.so
proftest

and I get in response:

proftest: no PLTREL found in object /lib/libc.so.6

I applied a patch (found here:
http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2006-07/msg00121.html)
to my glibc-2.4 sources, rebuilt, replaced ld-2.4.so, and can run the
above commands without the PLTREL error. But I find no profiling output
file. I'm looking in the current directory and under /var, and I'm
looking for anything like *.profile. Does profiling of shared libraries
work on MIPS? I admit that I've never profiled before, so I could be
doing something very stupid, but I've searched the web including
libc-alpha mail archives, and I'm not finding much documentation of how
profiling of shared libraries with LD_PROFILE is supposed to be used.

Thanks,
-John

     - - - - - Appended by Scientific Atlanta, a Cisco company - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential,
proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely
intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to
the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are
not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any
part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.

Re: LD_PROFILE with glibc-2.4 on mips-linux

Ulrich Drepper