Kawa at JavaOne

Per Bothner
In case anyone is going to JavaOne this year, I'll be giving a
presentation on Monday:

[CON2111]  Writing a 3-D Multiplayer Game with Kawa and JMonkeyEngine
   Developing a modern network game is very expensive. Performance is
   important, so people don’t normally think of using Java, let alone a
   more dynamic language. Fabric is a game that was developed by one
   person with JMonkeyEngine and the Kawa language. It is an immersive
   3-D multiplayer role-playing game with distinctive
   features. JMonkeyEngine is a pure Java scene-graph-based game
   engine. Kawa is a mature Scheme-based language with good Java
   integration and high performance. All Fabric-specific code is in
   Kawa. This session demonstrates unique Fabric features made possible
   by Kawa and JMonkeyEngine and touches on Kawa’s advantages and
   limitations compared to alternatives, especially Clojure and ABCL.

Monday 5:30pm-6:30pm Holiday Inn Golden Gate 6/7/8

I wouldn't object if you encourage your friends and co-workers to go :-)

My "virtual" co-presenter is mikel evins, author of the Fabric game,
which I'll be using for examples and demos.

I'll be around much of Monday through Wednesday (haven't decided
whether to go on Thursday).  One of the perks of *not* working for
Oracle is (unless I'm mistaken) that I get to go to the Treasure Island
event (for the first time); it would be nice to have some company
on the bus and at the event.
        --Per Bothner

Re: Kawa at JavaOne

Duncan Mak
Hello Per,

Do you know if there will be a recording of this talk?

Duncan.

Duncan.

Re: Kawa at JavaOne

Per Bothner

On 10/23/2015 11:40 AM, Duncan Mak wrote:
> Hello Per,
>
> Do you know if there will be a recording of this talk?

There will not be official recordings made.

I will make the slides available.

I might be able to make an unofficial audio recording,
but even if I do it might be difficult to get tolerable sound
quality.
        --Per Bothner

Re: Kawa at JavaOne

Per Bothner
Slides are now available here:
http://per.bothner.com/papers/JavaOne15/slides.html
http://per.bothner.com/papers/JavaOne15/slides.pdf

The session was actually recorded, but I don't yet
if or when the video will be available.

Thanks to mikel evins for providing inspiration,
and for answering most of the questions at the end :-)
        --Per Bothner

Re: Kawa at JavaOne

Elías Alonso G.-Cornejo
Thanks, Per! The slides are very interesting. It would be nice to see
the recording. Let's hope it ends up being available :)

Is there any public link or video about The Fabric?

Regards,
Elias.

> Slides are now available here:
> http://per.bothner.com/papers/JavaOne15/slides.html
> http://per.bothner.com/papers/JavaOne15/slides.pdf
>
> The session was actually recorded, but I don't yet
> if or when the video will be available.
>
> Thanks to mikel evins for providing inspiration,
> and for answering most of the questions at the end :-)

>         --Per Bothner
> [hidden email]   http://per.bothner.com/

Re: Kawa at JavaOne

mikel evins

> On Oct 28, 2015, at 7:09 AM, Elías Alonso G.-Cornejo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Per! The slides are very interesting. It would be nice to see
> the recording. Let's hope it ends up being available :)
>
> Is there any public link or video about The Fabric?

The Fabric isn’t publicized at the moment. I have a couple of simple videos handy.

This is a player character with a particular kind of armor:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6638724/miriam-5-bittersweet-earth-2-2.mov

This is a different player character flying around for about thirty seconds near a terraformed Venus:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6638724/fabric-venus-1080p.mov

You can contact me if you want to know more about the game. If there’s interest, I’m open to making more material avaiable.

Re: Kawa at JavaOne

mikel evins

> On Oct 28, 2015, at 7:09 AM, Elías Alonso G.-Cornejo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Per! The slides are very interesting. It would be nice to see
> the recording. Let's hope it ends up being available :)
>
> Is there any public link or video about The Fabric?

Because I got some questions about it, I made a short recording of the current version of the Fabric client. I put 480p and 720p copies of it on my public DropBox. These are completely new; give DropBox a few minutes to sync before trying to download.

Here’s the 480p version (about 68MB):
  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6638724/TheFabric-2015-10-29-480p.mov

Here’s the 720p (about 225.4MB):
  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6638724/TheFabric-2015-10-29-720p.mov

The video is of me using the character creator to set up and name a player character, then switching to the game world and flying around near Jupiter and then near Sedna.

The huge green orbital structure near Jupiter is the foundation of Volvox City, a faction capitol. The red one near Sedna is Adlivun, a capitol of a rival faction.

Pauses and jerking that you see in the video occur when I turn to a second screen and type Scheme code at the repl. I did that to change scenes and to control the speed of the point-of-view character so that I could zoom close to the orbital structures quickly, then slow things down so I could float around looking at things without ripping past them.

The structures in these scenes are very large, so it’s a little tricky to choose the right speed. Too fast and you can’t look at anything because you’re always tearing past it. Too slow and it takes forever to get anywhere.

I’m planning to take a break from work related to the Fabric for at least a week or so, but I’d be happy to answer questions. The obvious question is “where can I see the code?” and the answer is “you can’t, right now.” If people want access to the code, I’ll put it on github, but let me take a short break for about a week or so, and then go over the repo with fresh eyes before I make it available.

Ping me if you want to see it and it hasn’t shown up among my github repos in a week or two. For reference, my stuff is here:

https://github.com/mikelevins