Is having --enable-targets=all undocumented normal?

Is having --enable-targets=all undocumented normal?

Vincent Rubiolo
Gentle binutils maintainers,

I built today an all-target binutils set that I find very useful given
the range of object file format/architectures I have to work on. I used
--enable-targets=all option of configure for that matter.

However, I did not find it documented in the configure help output and
had to search over the list archives and the web to find the correct option.

Is this normal? I suspect it may be only targeted at binutils
maintainers (to test on a wide range of targets).
I, for my part, found it very useful and think it should be documented.

Vincent

Re: Is having --enable-targets=all undocumented normal?

Ian Lance Taylor
Vincent Rubiolo <[hidden email]> writes:

> I built today an all-target binutils set that I find very useful given
> the range of object file format/architectures I have to work on. I
> used --enable-targets=all option of configure for that matter.
>
> However, I did not find it documented in the configure help output and
> had to search over the list archives and the web to find the correct
> option.
>
> Is this normal? I suspect it may be only targeted at binutils
> maintainers (to test on a wide range of targets).
> I, for my part, found it very useful and think it should be documented.

It is documented in binutils/README, which is where all the binutils
build instructions are found.  That file is referenced by the top
level README file.

I think it would be reasonable to put those instructions somewhere
else, but where?

Ian

Re: Is having --enable-targets=all undocumented normal?

Vincent Rubiolo
Hello Ian,

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
[...]
> It is documented in binutils/README, which is where all the binutils
> build instructions are found.  That file is referenced by the top
> level README file.
Thanks for the pointer. It is indeed documented there in details.
However, a more explanative reference should be given as not everyone
builds from a unified tree. I myself missed that document, only looking
for build instructions in the top-level README file.

> I think it would be reasonable to put those instructions somewhere
> else, but where?
Mmm, I cannot really state about that. I was only referring to the fact
that the option should be printed by the configure help output (so that
intrigued people can look back at the documentation to know more).

Vincent

Using Firefox and Thunderbird at Wind River:
http://twiki.wrs.com/do/view/ENGtools/MozillaAtWindriver

Re: Is having --enable-targets=all undocumented normal?

Mike Frysinger
On Friday 14 October 2005 04:48 am, Vincent Rubiolo wrote:

> Hello Ian,
>
> Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> [...]
>
> > It is documented in binutils/README, which is where all the binutils
> > build instructions are found.  That file is referenced by the top
> > level README file.
>
> Thanks for the pointer. It is indeed documented there in details.
> However, a more explanative reference should be given as not everyone
> builds from a unified tree. I myself missed that document, only looking
> for build instructions in the top-level README file.

the toplevel README is shared between projects ... it already hints at reading
subdir README files (noting binutils/README)

but i guess you want something more explicit like 'for full build options, you
should read ./subdir/README files and run ./subdir/configure --help'

> > I think it would be reasonable to put those instructions somewhere
> > else, but where?
>
> Mmm, I cannot really state about that. I was only referring to the fact
> that the option should be printed by the configure help output (so that
> intrigued people can look back at the documentation to know more).

the toplevel configure is shared among projects (binutils, gdb, etc...) so
putting subdir options in configure would confuse other projects ... binutils
is really a collection of tools and each one has its own configure

so if you want a list of all configure options, you have to
run ./{binutils,ld,gas,bfd,etc...}/configure --help and read
{binutils,ld,gas,bfd,etc...}/README
-mike

Re: [SOLVED] Is having --enable-targets=all undocumented normal?

Vincent Rubiolo
Hello Mike,

Mike Frysinger wrote:
[...]
> the toplevel README is shared between projects ... it already hints at reading
> subdir README files (noting binutils/README)
>
> but i guess you want something more explicit like 'for full build options, you
> should read ./subdir/README files and run ./subdir/configure --help'
No, thinking again about it, that's fine like this. I should have paid
more attention to the sentence referring to binutils/README file.

[...]
> the toplevel configure is shared among projects (binutils, gdb, etc...) so
> putting subdir options in configure would confuse other projects ... binutils
> is really a collection of tools and each one has its own configure
>
> so if you want a list of all configure options, you have to
> run ./{binutils,ld,gas,bfd,etc...}/configure --help and read
> {binutils,ld,gas,bfd,etc...}/README
> -mike
True. Binutils is only part of the tree and the user has to take care to
look at each subtree for options. That's the good way to go.

Sorry for the noise and thank you for the explanations.

Vincent