Help: debug binary

Sourceware - gdb list mailing list
Hi Team

I am new to the stuff of debugging and do not know any memory tools.

1. I have logs of binary and have only development machine. I searched my
logs and prints shows something like.

Void f1()
{
    F1()

}

1.F1: returns the int val and after that binary crash .
2. In f1 some memory allocation and deallocation done for char*

How can i check that particular function and file for memory crash . As i
have develoment system where i can only compile my binary.?

Please suggest some useful steps

Thanks
Kunal

Re: Help: debug binary

Sourceware - gdb list mailing list
Hi Team
As I am new to core files and gdb
>> How core file looks like in unix ?
>>Can we use gdb to findout crash from core files? at development system.

--
*Thanks with Regards!*

*Kunal Chauhan*
*Mob:09813614826*
*Mob:08860397903*

*E-mail:[hidden email] <E-mail%[hidden email]>*

Re: Help: debug binary

Andrew Burgess
* Kunal Chauhan via Gdb <[hidden email]> [2020-05-13 01:05:32 +0530]:

> Hi Team
> As I am new to core files and gdb
> >> How core file looks like in unix ?
> >>Can we use gdb to findout crash from core files? at development
> system.

You don't really need to know the details of the core file format, you
just need the core file and the corresponding binary and you can debug
this with GDB.  See:

  https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/Invoking-GDB.html#Invoking-GDB

Basically you want:

  $ gdb application.exe core.file

Then you should be able to investigate the state of the target at the
time it produced the core file.

Good luck,
Andrew

> On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 8:54 AM Kunal Chauhan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Team
> >
> > I am new to the stuff of debugging and do not know any memory tools.
> >
> > 1. I have logs of binary and have only development machine. I searched my
> > logs and prints shows something like.
> >
> > Void f1()
> > {
> >     F1()
> >
> > }
> >
> > 1.F1: returns the int val and after that binary crash .
> > 2. In f1 some memory allocation and deallocation done for char*
> >

> > How can i check that particular function and file for memory crash . As i
> > have develoment system where i can only compile my binary.?
> >
> > Please suggest some useful steps
> >

> > Thanks
> > Kunal
> >

> --
> *Thanks with Regards!*
>
> *Kunal Chauhan*
> *Mob:09813614826*
> *Mob:08860397903*
>
> *E-mail:[hidden email] <E-mail%[hidden email]>*

Re: Help: debug binary

Sourceware - gdb list mailing list
Is gdb binary core.file   this can be run or developement system ? Means is
it necessary to run on target board

On 13 May 2020 1:52 a.m., "Andrew Burgess" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> * Kunal Chauhan via Gdb <[hidden email]> [2020-05-13 01:05:32 +0530]:
>
> > Hi Team
> > As I am new to core files and gdb
> > system.
>
> You don't really need to know the details of the core file format, you
> just need the core file and the corresponding binary and you can debug
> this with GDB.  See:
>
>   https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/
> Invoking-GDB.html#Invoking-GDB
>
> Basically you want:
>
>   $ gdb application.exe core.file
>
> Then you should be able to investigate the state of the target at the
> time it produced the core file.
>
> Good luck,
> Andrew
>

> > On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 8:54 AM Kunal Chauhan <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Team
> > >
> > > I am new to the stuff of debugging and do not know any memory tools.
> > >
> > > 1. I have logs of binary and have only development machine. I searched
> my
> > > logs and prints shows something like.
> > >
> > > Void f1()
> > > {
> > >     F1()
> > >
> > > }
> > >
> > > 1.F1: returns the int val and after that binary crash .
> > > 2. In f1 some memory allocation and deallocation done for char*
> > >

> > > How can i check that particular function and file for memory crash .
> As i
> > > have develoment system where i can only compile my binary.?
> > >
> > > Please suggest some useful steps
> > >

> > > Thanks
> > > Kunal
> > >

> > --
> > *Thanks with Regards!*
> >
> > *Kunal Chauhan*
> > *Mob:09813614826*
> > *Mob:08860397903*
> >
> > *E-mail:[hidden email] <E-mail%[hidden email]>*

Re: Help: debug binary

Andrew Burgess
* Kunal Chauhan <[hidden email]> [2020-05-13 02:37:47 +0530]:

> Is gdb binary core.file   this can be run or developement system ? Means is
> it necessary to run on target board

It depends what your setup is, and what you want to do.

You'll need a GDB built to debug your target environment.  That
doesn't mean you can't run that GDB on a totally different machine.

So on my X86-64/Linux desktop I can build GDB to debug RISC-V.  I then
run that GDB on my x86-64 machine, and connect to a remote RISC-V
target and debug.  If that target can produce core files I can copy
those to my local machine and use the RISC-V GDB to debug them.

You can feel free to expand on your questions a little, explain what
your setup is, what you'd like to achieve, what you've tried, and why
the results you see aren't what you expect.  This will make it much
easier for people to help you.

Thanks,
Andrew