Getting kawa -w to work on OS X

Duncan Mak
Hello Per,

I just tried building kawa from source (using a checkout from the
gitlab repo) and "kawa -w" works if I build it locally.

Running it from the official binary distribution fails
(https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/8301#issuecomment-273030690)
- this means there's something system-dependent that got baked into
the JAR file?

Let me know if you want to send you a copy of my repl.class.

Duncan.

Re: Getting kawa -w to work on OS X

Per Bothner

On 01/17/2017 10:16 PM, Duncan Mak wrote:
> Hello Per,
>
> I just tried building kawa from source (using a checkout from the
> gitlab repo) and "kawa -w" works if I build it locally.
>
> Running it from the official binary distribution fails
> (https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/8301#issuecomment-273030690)
> - this means there's something system-dependent that got baked into
> the JAR file?

My guess is the "system dependency" is DomTerm and/or JLine.  If you build
from source, if you don't specify the configure flags --with-domterm and/or --with-jline3
then -w will be equivalent to -wswing - it won't try to use any of the DomTerm
console variations.  However, the binary distribution includes both,
so -w will try to use Domterm (and jline) and fail.

The old Swing console works, but it has some basic problems, specifically
rather limited input editing.

You can use the DomTerm and JLine from the binary distribution
to build the source distribution:
   ./configure --with-domterm=/tmp/kawa-2.3 --with-jline3=/tmp/kawa-2.3/lib/jline.jar
assuming you unziped kawa-2.3.zip into /tmp

You can also try the attached patch.  You're supposed to see something like:

$ bin/kawa -w
java.lang.Error: setCurL:kawa.standard.Scheme@1a86f2f1 th:Thread[main,5,main] p1:#|kawa:%N|#  p2:#|%P.%N|#
        at gnu.expr.Language.setCurrentLanguage(Language.java:55)
        at gnu.expr.Language.setDefaults(Language.java:1206)
        at kawa.repl.getLanguage(repl.java:227)
        at kawa.repl.processArgs(repl.java:383)
        at kawa.repl.main(repl.java:820)
Started web server on port 46315.  Browse http://127.0.0.1:46315/
java.lang.Error: DomTerm.run th:Thread[Thread-9,5,main] p1:#|kawa:%N|#  p2:#|%P.%N|#
        at kawa.DomTermBackend.run(DomTermBackend.java:132)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

--
        --Per Bothner

kawa1.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Getting kawa -w to work on OS X

Duncan Mak
Ah, yes, I did forget about the configure flags.

However, even using the configure line that you posted, I can't seem
to force the DomTerm backend to start.

I tried giving more flags to -w, and this is what I see:

duncan@furigana:~/git/Kawa (master)$ java kawa.repl -wjavafx
kawa: -wjavafx failed: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/domterm/Backend

if I just run java kawa.repl -w, I just get the Swing console,
regardless of the patch or not.

Duncan.

On 01/18/2017 09:01 AM, Duncan Mak wrote:
> I tried giving more flags to -w, and this is what I see:
>
> duncan@furigana:~/git/Kawa (master)$ java kawa.repl -wjavafx
> kawa: -wjavafx failed: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/domterm/Backend
>
> if I just run java kawa.repl -w, I just get the Swing console,
> regardless of the patch or not.

You need to make sure the CLASSPATH includes domterm.jar.
If you use the bin/kawa script it should work automatically.
(Unless there are MacOS portability issues.  Someone mentioned readlink -f.)
--
        --Per Bothner