GNU Tools @ Linux Plumbers Conference

Joel Brobecker
Hi everyone,

Although this year's GNU Tool Cauldron was cancelled due to COVID-19,
we're working with the Linux Plumbers Conference who have provided us
with a GNU Tools track at their 2020 virtual conference 24-28 August.

As Jeremy described it a few weeks ago:

    The scope is the same as Cauldron, with talks, lightning talks,
    tutorials and BoF sessions across all GNU tools: GlibC, GDB, binutils,
    CGEN, DejaGnu, Newlib, GCC etc. We'll be using BigBlueButton as the
    platform, and to try to fit in as many talks as possible, we'll be
    restricting sessions to 25 minutes (10 minutes for lightning talks).

Do we want to try meeting again? A GDB BoF maybe? If someone is
interested and motivated in organizing one, will you let the organizing
team know?

Full details available at: https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/linuxplumbers2020

Cheers,
Joel

Re: GNU Tools @ Linux Plumbers Conference

Simon Marchi-4
On 2020-07-28 11:14 a.m., Joel Brobecker wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Although this year's GNU Tool Cauldron was cancelled due to COVID-19,
> we're working with the Linux Plumbers Conference who have provided us
> with a GNU Tools track at their 2020 virtual conference 24-28 August.
>
> As Jeremy described it a few weeks ago:
>
>     The scope is the same as Cauldron, with talks, lightning talks,
>     tutorials and BoF sessions across all GNU tools: GlibC, GDB, binutils,
>     CGEN, DejaGnu, Newlib, GCC etc. We'll be using BigBlueButton as the
>     platform, and to try to fit in as many talks as possible, we'll be
>     restricting sessions to 25 minutes (10 minutes for lightning talks).
>
> Do we want to try meeting again? A GDB BoF maybe? If someone is
> interested and motivated in organizing one, will you let the organizing
> team know?

I think it would be a great opportunity to meet in some way.  I really enjoyed
meeting all the GDB developers who were there at Cauldron last year, I know I
would enjoy hearing your voices again (and maybe new voices).

If people are interested, I don't mind taking care of registering a BoF session.
Keeping in mind that the deadline is this Friday (July 31st), I would need to
know pretty quickly if at least a few others would show up if we do this.

If we do this session, I can also take care of collecting a list of topics that
folks would like to talk about, just post them here.  It can be pretty much about
anything related to GDB development.

Simon

Re: GNU Tools @ Linux Plumbers Conference

Sourceware - gdb-patches mailing list

I would definitely show up.

Re: GNU Tools @ Linux Plumbers Conference

Joel Brobecker
Hi Simon,

> I think it would be a great opportunity to meet in some way.  I really enjoyed
> meeting all the GDB developers who were there at Cauldron last year, I know I
> would enjoy hearing your voices again (and maybe new voices).

Me too.

> If people are interested, I don't mind taking care of registering a
> BoF session.  Keeping in mind that the deadline is this Friday (July
> 31st), I would need to know pretty quickly if at least a few others
> would show up if we do this.

I would like this.

> If we do this session, I can also take care of collecting a list of
> topics that folks would like to talk about, just post them here.  It
> can be pretty much about anything related to GDB development.

Past and planned architectural changes? E.g.
  - the moving of gnulib and gdbserver
  - some of the changes you've made to the type system to provide
    a more C++-like API (replacing some of the macros we have been
    using)
  - Do people want to give feedback on the new version numbering scheme?
  - other large changes that people would like to pre-announce?

Thanks Simon!
Joel

Re: GNU Tools @ Linux Plumbers Conference

Sourceware - gdb-patches mailing list
On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 16:16:07 -0400
Simon Marchi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If people are interested, I don't mind taking care of registering a BoF session.
> Keeping in mind that the deadline is this Friday (July 31st), I would need to
> know pretty quickly if at least a few others would show up if we do this.

I'm interested (and will show up).

Kevin

On 2020-07-29 5:01 p.m., Joel Brobecker wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
>> I think it would be a great opportunity to meet in some way.  I really enjoyed
>> meeting all the GDB developers who were there at Cauldron last year, I know I
>> would enjoy hearing your voices again (and maybe new voices).
>
> Me too.
>
>> If people are interested, I don't mind taking care of registering a
>> BoF session.  Keeping in mind that the deadline is this Friday (July
>> 31st), I would need to know pretty quickly if at least a few others
>> would show up if we do this.
>
> I would like this.
>
>> If we do this session, I can also take care of collecting a list of
>> topics that folks would like to talk about, just post them here.  It
>> can be pretty much about anything related to GDB development.
>
> Past and planned architectural changes? E.g.
>   - the moving of gnulib and gdbserver
>   - some of the changes you've made to the type system to provide
>     a more C++-like API (replacing some of the macros we have been
>     using)
>   - Do people want to give feedback on the new version numbering scheme?
>   - other large changes that people would like to pre-announce?
>
> Thanks Simon!

Thanks to all who responded, I sent a message to tools-cauldron-admin yesterday asking
to reserve a slot for a GDB BoF.

Another topic idea:

If anybody is planning to contribute to GDB (either a feature, architecture support, whatever)
and is not sure about the process, best practices, or whatever, I think the BoF could be a good
time to come and talk about what you are planning to submit.  That will make the maintainers aware
of what's coming, and will help you get early feedback on how to make the submission so the
process is as smooth as possible.

Simon