FYI: GDB 6.4 release process started

Joel Brobecker
Hello,

In case some of you are not subscribed to gdb-announce:

<<
A quick message to announce that the GDB 6.4 branch has just been
created.

The prerelease snapshots are available at:

    ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/branch/gdb.tar.bz2

The sources are also accessible via CVS:

    cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/cvs/src co -r gdb_6_4-branch gdb

This announcement will also shortly be posted on the GDB web site at:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/

I forgot to mention that the GDB 6.4 release is scheduled for Dec 1st.

Joel

RE: GDB 6.4 release process started

Dave Korn
Joel Brobecker wrote:

> The prerelease snapshots are available at:
>
>     ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/branch/gdb.tar.bz2

  Builds OOTB on cygwin with no configure options, test results show:

                === gdb Summary ===

# of expected passes            9095
# of unexpected failures        657
# of expected failures          31
# of unknown successes          4
# of known failures             32
# of unresolved testcases       511
# of untested testcases         3
# of unsupported tests          15

[  Sorry, no baseline :-(  ]

    cheers,
      DaveK

Changes to the mi interface

Stefan Burström
Hello!
I have made some local changes to the mi2 interface to make it more
'complete'. Are those changes something you would like to include with the
6.4 release? Some of the changes is fixing unimplemented functions and some
of the changes completes the output with 'fullname' where only 'name' has
been available previously. Please let me know and I'll proviede a patch
file.

best regards,
Stefan Burstrom

Changes to the mi interface

Nick Roberts
 > I have made some local changes to the mi2 interface to make it more
 > 'complete'. Are those changes something you would like to include with the
 > 6.4 release? Some of the changes is fixing unimplemented functions and some
 > of the changes completes the output with 'fullname' where only 'name' has
 > been available previously. Please let me know and I'll proviede a patch
 > file.

It is probably too late for the 6.4 release as the branch has been cut.  AFAIK
there is no plan to implement all the MI commands described in the manual but
only those which are actually needed.

Please post your patches to [hidden email] and explain
why you need the MI commands that you have implemented.

"fullname" has been recently added to MI output, notably with -stack-list-frame
and when execution stops.  Please make sure your patches are against
current CVS.

Nick

Re: Changes to the mi interface

Daniel Jacobowitz-2
On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 08:38:45AM +0100, Stefan Burstr?m wrote:
> Hello!
> I have made some local changes to the mi2 interface to make it more
> 'complete'. Are those changes something you would like to include with the
> 6.4 release? Some of the changes is fixing unimplemented functions and some
> of the changes completes the output with 'fullname' where only 'name' has
> been available previously. Please let me know and I'll proviede a patch
> file.

I'll second Nick's comments, which are spot-on.

How should we know if we want your changes?  You haven't told us what
they are yet :-)

If you want to contribute to GDB, which we obviously would appreciate,
then you'll need to file an FSF copyright assignment.  If you haven't
already got one, please drop me a line and I'll get you started.

Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

Re: Changes to the mi interface

Stefan Burström
Hello Daniel

On 2005-11-07, you wrote:

> How should we know if we want your changes?  You haven't told us what
> they are yet :-)

Well, my kind of cryptic question was if it was ok to change the way the
mi2 interface looks like by adding new fields. In the meantime I have
figured out that you have added exactly the patch I would suggest so for now
I don't have any patches.
The other change I did was to implement -target-attach but I guess that
could wait until after 6.4 is released

> If you want to contribute to GDB, which we obviously would appreciate,
> then you'll need to file an FSF copyright assignment.  If you haven't
> already got one, please drop me a line and I'll get you started.

Nope, I don't have that so please get me started.

regards,
Stefan Burstrom