ECOS Memory Requirements

Moussa A. Ba
I am porting ecos to an OKI 4061 with 128K Flash and 16K RAM.  Can this
handle ecos? If so how much of that space will still remain for
application code?

Moussa

Re: ECOS Memory Requirements

Andrew Lunn-2
On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 12:39:34PM -0400, Moussa A. Ba wrote:
> I am porting ecos to an OKI 4061 with 128K Flash and 16K RAM.  Can this
> handle ecos? If so how much of that space will still remain for
> application code?

128K flash is O.K.

16K RAM is probably too small. I would say that 64K RAM is a
reasonable minimum. Some things will be possible with 32K RAM. I think
with 16K RAM you are going to have problems.

Maybe take a look at the ATMEL AT91SAM7 family. There are devices with
256K Flash and 64K RAM with eCos support already in anoncvs. There are
also similar devices from Philips in there LPC family.

     Andrew

Re: ECOS Memory Requirements

Moussa A. Ba
Are these high memory requirement because the code is loaded from flash
to RAM and then executed or is it just that ECOS data structures need so
much RAM (not that much compared to bigger processors).

Moussa

Andrew Lunn wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 12:39:34PM -0400, Moussa A. Ba wrote:
>
>> I am porting ecos to an OKI 4061 with 128K Flash and 16K RAM.  Can this
>> handle ecos? If so how much of that space will still remain for
>> application code?
>>

> 128K flash is O.K.
>
> 16K RAM is probably too small. I would say that 64K RAM is a
> reasonable minimum. Some things will be possible with 32K RAM. I think
> with 16K RAM you are going to have problems.
>
> Maybe take a look at the ATMEL AT91SAM7 family. There are devices with
> 256K Flash and 64K RAM with eCos support already in anoncvs. There are
> also similar devices from Philips in there LPC family.
>
>      Andrew

Re: ECOS Memory Requirements

Moussa A. Ba
Could I just use Redboot and if so what are the requirements on that?

Moussa

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 02:04:37PM -0400, Moussa A. Ba wrote:
> Are these high memory requirement because the code is loaded from flash
> to RAM and then executed or is it just that ECOS data structures need so
> much RAM (not that much compared to bigger processors).

eCos can run from ROM. That is the normal setup for AT91SAM7 devices.

To get an idea of code size i suggest you download anoncvs and play
with the build for the AT91SAM7S. Look at the binaries for the
tests.

       Andrew

Re: ECOS Memory Requirements

Ilija Kocho [Илија Кочо]
Andrew Lunn wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 02:04:37PM -0400, Moussa A. Ba wrote:
>
>> Are these high memory requirement because the code is loaded from flash
>> to RAM and then executed or is it just that ECOS data structures need so
>> much RAM (not that much compared to bigger processors).
>>

> eCos can run from ROM. That is the normal setup for AT91SAM7 devices.
>
> To get an idea of code size i suggest you download anoncvs and play
> with the build for the AT91SAM7S. Look at the binaries for the
> tests.

You can also try with MCB2100 port, an LPC2xxx setup with 16K RAM
(allthough 256K flash) and see how your app compiles). You may need some
memory tuning (irq stack, threads' stacks).
Ilija