Contribution towards LibFFI development

Kiran, Pichika Uday
Hello Team,

Myself Uday Kiran from Intel decided to contribute to libffi development and bug fixing.

Can someone please help me in providing the below details on libffi which will help me to understand the library better.

1.       How to setup the multiple platforms to check the bugs raised in github

2.       Is CI(Continuous integration) process happenings for libffi ? If yes, what is the frequency of this and who is the maintainer ?

3.       How to verify if any fix has been made by running bunch of test cases in-order not to disturb the existing functionality.

Along with the above details, can someone please send me the documentation on libffi and its code flow ?

Looking forward for the responses.

Thanks  & Regards
Uday Kiran

RE: Contribution towards LibFFI development

Kiran, Pichika Uday
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your reply.

I had gone through the notes as per your suggestion.
README.md contains the information about the platforms, compilers supported by libffi.

Here my question is about setting up the different platform in the existing machine.
Ex: If there are any issues reported on PowerPC64 but my current machine is installed with Linux. In this case, how can I compile libffi to PowerPC64 platform on my linux machine ? Do I need to use any simulators ? Can you please help me on this query ?

I ran "make check" on ClearLinux platform and got the below failures. I'm checking these issues from my side.

XFAIL: libffi.bhaible/test-callback.c -W -Wall -Wno-psabi -DDGTEST=54 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-uninitialized -O0 -DABI_NUM=FFI_GNUW64 -DABI_ATTR=__MSABI__ execution test
XFAIL: libffi.bhaible/test-callback.c -W -Wall -Wno-psabi -DDGTEST=54 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-uninitialized -O2 -DABI_NUM=FFI_GNUW64 -DABI_ATTR=__MSABI__ execution test
XFAIL: libffi.bhaible/test-callback.c -W -Wall -Wno-psabi -DDGTEST=54 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-uninitialized -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DABI_NUM=FFI_GNUW64 -DABI_ATTR=__MSABI__ execution test
XFAIL: libffi.bhaible/test-callback.c -W -Wall -Wno-psabi -DDGTEST=55 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-uninitialized -O0 -DABI_NUM=FFI_GNUW64 -DABI_ATTR=__MSABI__ execution test
XFAIL: libffi.bhaible/test-callback.c -W -Wall -Wno-psabi -DDGTEST=55 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-uninitialized -O2 -DABI_NUM=FFI_GNUW64 -DABI_ATTR=__MSABI__ execution test
XFAIL: libffi.bhaible/test-callback.c -W -Wall -Wno-psabi -DDGTEST=55 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-uninitialized -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DABI_NUM=FFI_GNUW64 -DABI_ATTR=__MSABI__ execution test
XFAIL: libffi.bhaible/test-callback.c -W -Wall -Wno-psabi -DDGTEST=56 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-uninitialized -O0 -DABI_NUM=FFI_GNUW64 -DABI_ATTR=__MSABI__ execution test
XFAIL: libffi.bhaible/test-callback.c -W -Wall -Wno-psabi -DDGTEST=56 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-uninitialized -O2 -DABI_NUM=FFI_GNUW64 -DABI_ATTR=__MSABI__ execution test
XFAIL: libffi.bhaible/test-callback.c -W -Wall -Wno-psabi -DDGTEST=56 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-uninitialized -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DABI_NUM=FFI_GNUW64 -DABI_ATTR=__MSABI__ execution test

Thanks
Uday Kiran

"Kiran, Pichika Uday" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Myself Uday Kiran from Intel decided to contribute to libffi
> development and bug fixing.

Hi Uday, thanks for offering to help.

> Can someone please help me in providing the below details on libffi which will help me to understand the library better.
>
> 1.       How to setup the multiple platforms to check the bugs raised
> in github

libffi is configured and built using the GNU autotools.  See README.md, and have a look at the scripts in the .travis directory to get an idea of how to use them.

> 2.       Is CI(Continuous integration) process happenings for libffi ?
> If yes, what is the frequency of this and who is the maintainer ?

We use travis and appveyor for CI, which happens on every commit.  The configury for those CI platforms is in the libffi github-hosted repo.
They can always be improved, and if anyone has ideas as to get how more platform coverage, that would be welcome.  CI is a challenge for libffi.

> 3.       How to verify if any fix has been made by running bunch of
> test cases in-order not to disturb the existing functionality.

We run the testsuite as part of the CI process.  Look at .travis.yml and .appveyor.yml.

> Along with the above details, can someone please send me the
> documentation on libffi and its code flow ?

There is nothing outside of documentation in the libffi git repo.

Thanks,

AG

--
Anthony Green <[hidden email]>
Senior Principal Solutions Architect, Financial Services