Confusion about version numbering scheme

Confusion about version numbering scheme

Josef Wolf
Hello all,

in order to find out details for
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/newlib/2020/017688.html
I decided to git-bisect newlib-3.1.0 up to newlib-3.2.0.

And on that, I'm somewhat confused about newlib version numbering scheme.

How comes that cygwin-3_0-branch and cygwin-3_0_x-release are SUCCESSORS of
newlib-3.1.0 tag?

Thbis makes me wonder whether
ftp://sourceware.org/pub/newlib/newlib-3.1.0.tar.gz was really created from
the newlib-3.1.0 tag?

Josef Wolf

Re: Confusion about version numbering scheme

Sourceware - newlib list mailing list
Hi Josef,

The newlib tag gets created by a shell script I run which at the same time
creates the archive and uploads it.

I can't speak as to why the cygwin tags are the way they are and Corinna is
on vacation at the moment, but perhaps
one of the other Cygwin maintainers can comment.

-- Jeff J.

On Thu, 2020-06-11 at 13:30 -0400, Jeff Johnston via Newlib wrote:
> The newlib tag gets created by a shell script I run which at the same time
> creates the archive and uploads it.
>
> I can't speak as to why the cygwin tags are the way they are and Corinna is
> on vacation at the moment, but perhaps
> one of the other Cygwin maintainers can comment.

Simple: Cygwin's version numbering is completely independent of
Newlib's.

--
Yaakov Selkowitz
Senior Software Engineer - Platform Enablement