Complex relocs and RELOC_IMPLIES_OVERFLOW attr

Complex relocs and RELOC_IMPLIES_OVERFLOW attr

Aurelien BUHRIG-2
Hi,

I've defined OBJ_COMPLEX_RELC macro to enable complex relocations
(from mep port) in my cpu port which seems to work well.
But for gas to compile, the RELOC_IMPLIES_OVERFLOW attr must be
defined in the cpu file (only in mep-core.cpu till now).

Shouldn't this attr be a general attribute rather than a target
dependant attr, or are the complex relocs in cgen a very experimental
feature we shouldn't use ?

Thanks,
Aurélien

Re: Complex relocs and RELOC_IMPLIES_OVERFLOW attr

Frank Ch. Eigler
Hi -

> I've defined OBJ_COMPLEX_RELC macro to enable complex relocations
> (from mep port) in my cpu port which seems to work well.
> But for gas to compile, the RELOC_IMPLIES_OVERFLOW attr must be
> defined in the cpu file (only in mep-core.cpu till now). [...]

I can't explain why it's done in the present way (using a generated
symbol rather than a hard-coded one); maybe because cgen .cpu-level
symbols cannot normally refer to normal C ones.

> are the complex relocs in cgen a very experimental feature we
> shouldn't use ?

They are done, working as far as I know.  However, they are not used
much: their capability is not needed or just not appreciated widely.

- FChE