COPYING file is just a symlink in sgml-common-0.6.3.tgz

COPYING file is just a symlink in sgml-common-0.6.3.tgz

Scott Garman-3
Hello,

I'm working on packaging various docbook-utils for the Yocto Project - a
framework for creating custom embedded Linux distributions. As part of
our packaging process, we try to identify the license the package is
released under, and keep track of a hash of the license information.
Most commonly we use the COPYING file included with the sources.

In the case of sgml-common-0.6.3.tgz, the COPYING file is a symlink to
/usr/share/automake/COPYING (likewise for the INSTALL document). I could
not find anything else in the tarball that would serve to represent its
software license.

I realize this tarball was created way back in 2001, but if there is a
future version of it, including a real text file would be quite helpful.

Thanks,

Scott Garman

--
Scott Garman
Embedded Linux Distro Engineer - Yocto Project
Intel Open Source Technology Center

Re: COPYING file is just a symlink in sgml-common-0.6.3.tgz

ebischoff (Bugzilla)

Le 25 janv. 2011 à 01:16, Scott Garman a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I'm working on packaging various docbook-utils for the Yocto Project - a framework for creating custom embedded Linux distributions. As part of our packaging process, we try to identify the license the package is released under, and keep track of a hash of the license information. Most commonly we use the COPYING file included with the sources.
>
> In the case of sgml-common-0.6.3.tgz, the COPYING file is a symlink to /usr/share/automake/COPYING (likewise for the INSTALL document). I could not find anything else in the tarball that would serve to represent its software license.

Scott,

I would be willing to restart managing the source code for this package, but I don't even have the account password at RedHat/SourceWare.org anymore, and I haven't been able to contact any admin there.

I know that sounds pretty stupid.

> I realize this tarball was created way back in 2001, but if there is a future version of it, including a real text file would be quite helpful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Garman

Re: COPYING file is just a symlink in sgml-common-0.6.3.tgz

Ondrej Vasik
Eric Bischoff wrote:

> Le 25 janv. 2011 à 01:16, Scott Garman a écrit :
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm working on packaging various docbook-utils for the Yocto Project - a framework for creating custom embedded Linux distributions. As part of our packaging process, we try to identify the license the package is released under, and keep track of a hash of the license information. Most commonly we use the COPYING file included with the sources.
> >
> > In the case of sgml-common-0.6.3.tgz, the COPYING file is a symlink to /usr/share/automake/COPYING (likewise for the INSTALL document). I could not find anything else in the tarball that would serve to represent its software license.
>
> Scott,
>
> I would be willing to restart managing the source code for this package, but I don't even have the account password at RedHat/SourceWare.org anymore, and I haven't been able to contact any admin there.
>
> I know that sounds pretty stupid.
>
> > I realize this tarball was created way back in 2001, but if there is a future version of it, including a real text file would be quite helpful.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Scott Garman

I'll arrange new sgml-common project pages on fedorahosted.org (this or
next week) ...

Greetings,
         Ondrej Vasik

Re: COPYING file is just a symlink in sgml-common-0.6.3.tgz

ebischoff (Bugzilla)
> I'll arrange new sgml-common project pages on fedorahosted.org (this or
> next week) ...

1) What about the docbook-utils project ?

it was a part of docbook-tools . Perhaps it was too ambitious to put everything under the roof of the docbook-tools. But I keep receiving some feedback about the docbook-utils scripts.

2) Ovasik, if you're at redhat, could you possibly retrieve my old password at docbook-tools project?

On 01/25/2011 07:54 AM, Ondrej Vasik wrote:

> Eric Bischoff wrote:
>> Le 25 janv. 2011 à 01:16, Scott Garman a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm working on packaging various docbook-utils for the Yocto Project - a framework for creating custom embedded Linux distributions. As part of our packaging process, we try to identify the license the package is released under, and keep track of a hash of the license information. Most commonly we use the COPYING file included with the sources.
>>>
>>> In the case of sgml-common-0.6.3.tgz, the COPYING file is a symlink to /usr/share/automake/COPYING (likewise for the INSTALL document). I could not find anything else in the tarball that would serve to represent its software license.
>>
>> Scott,
>>
>> I would be willing to restart managing the source code for this package, but I don't even have the account password at RedHat/SourceWare.org anymore, and I haven't been able to contact any admin there.
>>
>> I know that sounds pretty stupid.
>>
>>> I realize this tarball was created way back in 2001, but if there is a future version of it, including a real text file would be quite helpful.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Scott Garman
>
> I'll arrange new sgml-common project pages on fedorahosted.org (this or
> next week) ...
>
> Greetings,
>           Ondrej Vasik

That would be great. I really appreciate your efforts.

Thanks,

Scott

Eric Bischoff wrote:
> > I'll arrange new sgml-common project pages on fedorahosted.org (this or
> > next week) ...
>

> 1) What about the docbook-utils project ?
>
> it was a part of docbook-tools . Perhaps it was too ambitious to put everything under the roof of the docbook-tools. But I keep receiving some feedback about the docbook-utils scripts.

I could request hosting for docbook-utils as well ... there are some
patches in Fedora which could be merged with yours and we could make new
release...

> 2) Ovasik, if you're at redhat, could you possibly retrieve my old password at docbook-tools project?

I would prefer moving it to fedorahosted - we could have ticketing trac
instance there and it is "more open" - you only need Fedora account and
it is easy to get one.

Greetings,
         Ondrej Vasik

Re: COPYING file is just a symlink in sgml-common-0.6.3.tgz

ebischoff (Bugzilla)
>> 2) Ovasik, if you're at redhat, could you possibly retrieve my old password at docbook-tools project?
>
> I would prefer moving it to fedorahosted - we could have ticketing trac
> instance there and it is "more open" - you only need Fedora account and
> it is easy to get one.

Fine with me. Who would take care of moving the "latest" source code there ?

Eric Bischoff wrote:
> >> 2) Ovasik, if you're at redhat, could you possibly retrieve my old password at docbook-tools project?
> >
> > I would prefer moving it to fedorahosted - we could have ticketing trac
> > instance there and it is "more open" - you only need Fedora account and
> > it is easy to get one.
>
> Fine with me. Who would take care of moving the "latest" source code there ?

I'll request the project hosting and Trac instance.
Once the ticket will be resolved, I could import docbook-utils-0.6.14
tarball content. Or do you have some different (or more recent)
docbook-utils source code version to upload into git (so we could start
with that one) ?

Greetings,
         Ondrej

Le 26 janv. 2011 à 10:55, Ondrej Vasik a écrit :
> I'll request the project hosting and Trac instance.
> Once the ticket will be resolved, I could import docbook-utils-0.6.14
> tarball content. Or do you have some different (or more recent)
> docbook-utils source code version to upload into git (so we could start
> with that one) ?

All I got is what I retrieved via anonymous CVS.

$ grep AUTOMAKE configure.in
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(docbook-utils, 0.6.14)

So I suppose I have nothing more recent than you. Go ahead.

Ondrej Vasik wrote:

> Eric Bischoff wrote:
> > > I'll arrange new sgml-common project pages on fedorahosted.org (this or
> > > next week) ...
> >

> > 1) What about the docbook-utils project ?
> >
> > it was a part of docbook-tools . Perhaps it was too ambitious to put everything under the roof of the docbook-tools. But I keep receiving some feedback about the docbook-utils scripts.
>
> I could request hosting for docbook-utils as well ... there are some
> patches in Fedora which could be merged with yours and we could make new
> release...
>
> > 2) Ovasik, if you're at redhat, could you possibly retrieve my old password at docbook-tools project?
>
> I would prefer moving it to fedorahosted - we could have ticketing trac
> instance there and it is "more open" - you only need Fedora account and
> it is easy to get one.

As promised, project pages on Fedorahosted.org established.

sgml-common:
 - just git repo - http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=sgml-common.git

docbook-utils:
 - git repo - http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=docbook-utils.git
 - commit mailing list -
https://fedorahosted.org/mailman/listinfo/docbook-utils-commits
 - discussion/user/bug-report/patch mailing list -
https://fedorahosted.org/mailman/listinfo/docbook-utils-discuss
 - project pages and Trac ticketing instance -
https://fedorahosted.org/docbook-utils/

For git commit group membership is the Fedora account needed.

Greetings,
         Ondrej Vasik