Building for an old linux kernel target

Thomas Fuller
Hello,

I'm trying to build a toolchain for an old Arm926 core that's running linux
kernel v2.6.35.3. That kernel isn't in the default list, likely since it's
so far past EOL. In my reading I found
https://crosstool-ng.github.io/docs/internals/ page in the docs, but I
don't quite grok how the kernel.in/kernel.sh files define the different
kernel versions available. Is there a simple path to getting support for
the old kernel setup?

I'm open to running an older version of crosstool-NG that has support, but
I'm not sure how to figure out what the correct version would be?

-Thomas

Re: Building for an old linux kernel target

Geert Stappers
On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 04:04:56PM -0800, Thomas Fuller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build a toolchain for an old Arm926 core that's running linux
> kernel v2.6.35.3. That kernel isn't in the default list, likely since it's
> so far past EOL. In my reading I found
> https://crosstool-ng.github.io/docs/internals/ page in the docs, but I
> don't quite grok how the kernel.in/kernel.sh files define the different
> kernel versions available. Is there a simple path to getting support for
> the old kernel setup?
>
> I'm open to running an older version of crosstool-NG that has support, but
> I'm not sure how to figure out what the correct version would be?

Changelog. Check the changelog of kernel and GCC for release dates.

Say v2.6.35.3 is from februari 2006. Then find the GCC
that existed in those days.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--