[Bug libc/2671] New: On powerpc the order of parameters in weak_alias is significant

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Bug libc/2671] New: On powerpc the order of parameters in weak_alias is significant

glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de
The unmodified weak_alias, as shown the the weak_alias.diff patch shown below
gives compilation errors on current snapshot and CVS 2.3.6 and 2.4 glibc. The
unmodifed _equivalent_ forms on i[3456]x86 work fine.


-weak_alias (getsockname, __getsockname)
+weak_alias (__getsockname, getsockname)


The modification was tested on both glibc 2.3.6 and 2.4 snapshots over several
weeks now.

The compilations were attempted with current gcc-4.2.0 and current snapshot
binutils.

The exist a more severe problem farther down in the powerpc glibc compilation
subject of a forthcoming PR.

--
           Summary: On powerpc the order of parameters in weak_alias is
                    significant
           Product: glibc
           Version: 2.4
            Status: NEW
          Severity: normal
          Priority: P2
         Component: libc
        AssignedTo: drepper at redhat dot com
        ReportedBy: malitzke at metronets dot com
                CC: glibc-bugs at sources dot redhat dot com
 GCC build triplet: powerpc-linux-gnu
  GCC host triplet: powerpc-linux-gnu
GCC target triplet: powerpc-linux-gnu


http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2671

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Bug libc/2671] On powerpc the order of parameters in weak_alias is significant

glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de

------- Additional Comments From malitzke at metronets dot com  2006-05-17 17:26 -------
Ulrich!
I am at a loss. The patch I have as diff -U worked fine on the actual tree.
However I can not get accepted by bugzilla either in the comments part or in
an attachement. I am going to try and edit it to if a form is acceptable.


--


http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2671

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Bug libc/2671] On powerpc the order of parameters in weak_alias is significant

glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de
In reply to this post by glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de

------- Additional Comments From decimal at us dot ibm dot com  2006-05-17 18:01 -------
When you say "can not get accepted by bugzilla" do you mean when you try to put
it in as a comment or as an attachment? What error are you having?

--


http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2671

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Bug libc/2671] On powerpc the order of parameters in weak_alias is significant

glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de
In reply to this post by glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de

------- Additional Comments From malitzke at metronets dot com  2006-05-17 18:13 -------
  My mozilla is kept indefinetely "waiting for sources.red.hat.com"
  When I take the patch text out it works fine.

--


http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2671

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Bug libc/2671] On powerpc the order of parameters in weak_alias is significant

glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de
In reply to this post by glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de

------- Additional Comments From malitzke at metronets dot com  2006-05-17 18:18 -------
 In both cases (attachment or comment) I click on commit and it hangs as long as
I have diff output build messages for you.

--


http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2671

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Bug libc/2671] On powerpc the order of parameters in weak_alias is significant

glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de
In reply to this post by glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de

------- Additional Comments From decimal at us dot ibm dot com  2006-05-17 18:30 -------
mail the patch to me and I'll take a look - very curious - what version of mozilla?

--


http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2671

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Bug libc/2671] On powerpc the order of parameters in weak_alias is significant

glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de
In reply to this post by glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de

------- Additional Comments From malitzke at metronets dot com  2006-05-18 02:28 -------
Well, another attempt

>   --- ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/getsockname.S.org 2002-05-14
20:17:58.000000000 -0400

>   +++ ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/getsockname.S 2006-05-08 05:34:59.000000000 -0400
>   @@ -2,4 +2,4 @@
>    #define NARGS 3
>    #define NO_WEAK_ALIAS 1
>    #include <socket.S>
>   -weak_alias (getsockname, __getsockname)
>   +weak_alias (__getsockname, getsockname)
>   --- ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/bind.S.org 2002-05-14 20:17:25.000000000 -0400
>   +++ ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/bind.S 2006-05-08 05:21:20.000000000 -0400
>   @@ -2,4 +2,4 @@
>    #define NARGS 3
>    #define NO_WEAK_ALIAS 1
>    #include <socket.S>
>   -weak_alias (bind, __bind)
>   +weak_alias ( __bind, bind)
>   --- ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/listen.S.org 2002-05-14 20:18:37.000000000 -0400
>   +++ ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/listen.S 2006-05-08 05:37:40.000000000 -0400
>   @@ -2,4 +2,4 @@
>    #define NARGS 2
>    #define NO_WEAK_ALIAS 1
>    #include <socket.S>
>   -weak_alias (listen, __listen)
>   +weak_alias (__listen, listen)
>   --- ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/setsockopt.S.org 2002-05-14 20:19:09.000000000
-0400
>   +++ ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/setsockopt.S 2006-05-08 05:40:46.000000000 -0400
>   @@ -2,4 +2,4 @@
>    #define NARGS 5
>    #define NO_WEAK_ALIAS 1
>    #include <socket.S>
>   -weak_alias (setsockopt, __setsockopt)
>   +weak_alias (__setsockopt, setsockopt)


--


http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2671

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Bug libc/2671] On powerpc the order of parameters in weak_alias is significant

glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de
In reply to this post by glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de

------- Additional Comments From decimal at us dot ibm dot com  2006-05-18 14:56 -------
--- ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/getsockname.S.org 2002-05-14
20:17:58.000000000 -0400
+++ ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/getsockname.S     2006-05-08 05:34:59.000000000 -0400
@@ -2,4 +2,4 @@
 #define        NARGS   3
 #define NO_WEAK_ALIAS  1
 #include <socket.S>
-weak_alias (getsockname, __getsockname)
+weak_alias (__getsockname, getsockname)
--- ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/bind.S.org        2002-05-14 20:17:25.000000000 -0400
+++ ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/bind.S    2006-05-08 05:21:20.000000000 -0400
@@ -2,4 +2,4 @@
 #define        NARGS   3
 #define NO_WEAK_ALIAS  1
 #include <socket.S>
-weak_alias (bind, __bind)
+weak_alias (__bind, bind)
--- ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/listen.S.org      2002-05-14 20:18:37.000000000 -0400
+++ ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/listen.S  2006-05-08 05:37:40.000000000 -0400
@@ -2,4 +2,4 @@
 #define        NARGS   2
 #define NO_WEAK_ALIAS  1
 #include <socket.S>
-weak_alias (listen, __listen)
+weak_alias (__listen, listen)
--- ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/setsockopt.S.org  2002-05-14 20:19:09.000000000
-0400
+++ ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/setsockopt.S      2006-05-08 05:40:46.000000000 -0400
@@ -2,4 +2,4 @@
 #define        NARGS   5
 #define NO_WEAK_ALIAS  1
 #include <socket.S>
-weak_alias (setsockopt, __setsockopt)
+weak_alias (__setsockopt, setsockopt)


--


http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2671

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Bug libc/2671] On powerpc the order of parameters in weak_alias is significant

glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de
In reply to this post by glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de

------- Additional Comments From decimal at us dot ibm dot com  2006-05-18 14:57 -------
Created an attachment (id=1033)
 --> (http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=1033&action=view)
Fix weak_alias usage in socket code.


--


http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2671

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Bug libc/2671] On powerpc the order of parameters in weak_alias is significant

glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de
In reply to this post by glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de

------- Additional Comments From decimal at us dot ibm dot com  2006-05-18 15:00 -------
For future reference it is not very helpful to put a patch in that the patch
program cannot process unmodified. Additionally you had extra spaces in front of
__bind in the line

+weak_alias ( __bind, bind)

I was able to edit your patch and both insert it into a comment and attach it
without problem. I suggest you resolve the problem on your end before you
attempt  to submit other patches.

Do you have any testcase beyond the build issues you saw?

--


http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2671

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Bug libc/2671] On powerpc the order of parameters in weak_alias is significant

glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de
In reply to this post by glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de

------- Additional Comments From malitzke at metronets dot com  2006-05-19 22:00 -------
Well, after rebuilding most of X11R6 and reinstalling mozilla (2.7.12) that
problem, apparently, misinterpretation of some character went away.

Going back to the weak_alias issue. Now, after CVS updates to glibc, svn updates
to gcc-4.2 (main trunk) and rebuilt binutils the order of the parameters has
become irrelevant. I always thought it was really a gcc issue but after hand
editing the four *.S by hand I thought it would be helpful to the glibc
community to have a little patch.

Again, it might be only of temporary interest to know that it is necessary to
change VERSION=0605xx in the binutils bfd, gas, and gprof configure files to
something like =2.17.  Otherwise, the configuration of glibc will term ld and as
as being too old.

Finally in reading the equivalents to PR 333 (my PR 2672 was made equivalent to
333) I see that similarily to the gcc in-crowd, people from the user community
are not really wellcome. At over 70 years, but as a former assembly language
real-time systems programmer I can take a hint and will restrict myself to cases
like ICE and segmentation errors. That issue in PR 2672 will either fade away or
I will find a way to fake it out and continue building my own libcs, as I have
been doing for a long time. I started with gcc-1.4.x and the Berkeley libraries;
hacking both for use on SCO's Xenix.

--


http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2671

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Bug libc/2671] On powerpc the order of parameters in weak_alias is significant

glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de
In reply to this post by glaubitz at physik dot fu-berlin.de

------- Additional Comments From drepper at redhat dot com  2006-09-09 17:23 -------
If this patch is necessary then it's the ppc definition of socket.S which is
wrong.  The x86 version is the master copy, see how it handles symbols.

--
           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Status|NEW                         |RESOLVED
         Resolution|                            |INVALID


http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2671

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.