Binutils Port

Niklaus-2
Hi,
 1)
 I was trying to install binutils2.16 from source and it didn't make
it because ld had no target. So i tried building
i686-unknown-netbsdelf as target , at this point binutils compiled
fine but gcc failed saying ld /export/home/cross/i686
-unknown-netbsdelf/bin/ld: crtbeginS.o: No such file: No such file or directory

I am not crosscompiling

2) So how do i build binutils 2.16 from source and what is target .
Why isn't openbsd defined in the list. What are source changes that
are to be made.

3)
 I saw from the CVS that for openbsd binutils 2.15 , someone had added
a target obsd  . I tried only adding a similar target in 2.16 but it
failed saying eelf_i386_obsd.o not found.

Where can i get more information about these things

Regards
Nik

Re: Binutils Port

Ian Lance Taylor
Niklaus <[hidden email]> writes:

>  I was trying to install binutils2.16 from source and it didn't make
> it because ld had no target. So i tried building
> i686-unknown-netbsdelf as target , at this point binutils compiled
> fine but gcc failed saying ld /export/home/cross/i686
> -unknown-netbsdelf/bin/ld: crtbeginS.o: No such file: No such file or directory

Please read binutils/README.

Ian

Re: Binutils Port

Niklaus-2
On 20 Mar 2006 10:36:42 -0800, Ian Lance Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Niklaus <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> >  I was trying to install binutils2.16 from source and it didn't make
> > it because ld had no target. So i tried building
> > i686-unknown-netbsdelf as target , at this point binutils compiled
> > fine but gcc failed saying ld /export/home/cross/i686
> > -unknown-netbsdelf/bin/ld: crtbeginS.o: No such file: No such file or directory
>
> Please read binutils/README.
>
> Ian

Well i read it but this is something specific to openbsd . It has no
target. Is there any document saying the internals like crtbeginS.o
etc and ld why it produces __main and --entry doesn't work sometimes

Regards
Nik