Basic redboot

Augusto Salazar
Greetings,

I am working in a GRG board and I am starting to move
to a custom board. I would like to start testing from
a really basic redboot.

How do I remove functionality from the redboot, for
example network,usb and so on, the idea is just to get
the console UART and RAM and FLASH access.

Thanks in advance,

Augusto Salazar

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com

Re: Basic redboot

Gary Thomas
On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 00:25 -0800, Augusto Salazar wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am working in a GRG board and I am starting to move
> to a custom board. I would like to start testing from
> a really basic redboot.
>
> How do I remove functionality from the redboot, for
> example network,usb and so on, the idea is just to get
> the console UART and RAM and FLASH access.

Build RedBoot using ecosconfig and add in only the funtions
you want.  I always start like this:

  % ecosconfig new <target> redboot
  % ecosconfig tree
  % make

This will build a RAM version, which on new hardware implies
that you have some way to get it into RAM, such as a JTAG
debug unit, etc.

Then to add new functionality, just add the appropriate
package selections.

  % ecosconfig add flash
  % ecosconfig tree
  % make

After this command, all FLASH related functions will be
enabled.

  % ecosconfig add eth_drivers
  % ecosconfig tree

This sequence adds networking.

etc.

Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
MLB Associates              |    Embedded world

Re: Basic redboot

Gary Thomas
On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 05:56 -0800, Augusto Salazar wrote:
> HI all,
>
> Gary thanks for comments, they will help me a lot.
>
> I have the BDI2000, does anyone has any idea of how to
> load the redboot and the run the redboot from RAM?

Please copy your replies to the eCos mailing list so that
all may benefit.  Private support is available from MLB Associates
only under contract.

> BR,
>
> Augusto Salazar.
>
> --- Gary Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 00:25 -0800, Augusto Salazar
> > wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I am working in a GRG board and I am starting to
> > move
> > > to a custom board. I would like to start testing
> > from
> > > a really basic redboot.
> > >
> > > How do I remove functionality from the redboot,
> > for
> > > example network,usb and so on, the idea is just to
> > get
> > > the console UART and RAM and FLASH access.
> >
> > Build RedBoot using ecosconfig and add in only the
> > funtions
> > you want.  I always start like this:
> >
> >   % ecosconfig new <target> redboot
> >   % ecosconfig tree
> >   % make
> >
> > This will build a RAM version, which on new hardware
> > implies
> > that you have some way to get it into RAM, such as a
> > JTAG
> > debug unit, etc.
> >
> > Then to add new functionality, just add the
> > appropriate
> > package selections.
> >
> >   % ecosconfig add flash
> >   % ecosconfig tree
> >   % make
> >
> > After this command, all FLASH related functions will
> > be
> > enabled.
> >
> >   % ecosconfig add eth_drivers
> >   % ecosconfig tree
> >
> > This sequence adds networking.
> >
> > etc.
> >
> > --

> > Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
> > MLB Associates              |    Embedded world

> AUGUSTO SALAZAR
> MIEMBRO DE PIRATAS TM (COL)
> CEL: +57 315 7340134.

> Just $16.99/mo. or less.
> dsl.yahoo.com
Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
MLB Associates              |    Embedded world

Re: Basic redboot

Augusto Salazar
Hi.

I am sorry Gary, just forget to change the address
when I hot reply.

I have the BDI2000, does anyone has any idea of
how to load the redboot and the run the redboot from
RAM?

By the way,I followed your instructions like

ecosconfig new grg redboot
ecosconfig tree
make

and I got from my grg board:

RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [ROM]
Red Hat certified release, version 1.92 - built
13:56:07, Oct 20 2003

Platform: ADI Coyote (XScale)
IDE/Parallel Port CPLD Version: 1.0
Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, Red Hat, Inc.

RAM: 0x00000000-0x04000000, 0x0001f960-0x03fd1000
available
FLASH: 0x50000000 - 0x51000000, 128 blocks of
0x00020000 bytes each.
RedBoot> load redbootRAM.srec
Using default protocol (TFTP)
Entry point: 0x00100040, address range:
0x00100000-0x00113d2c
RedBoot> go
$T050f:00100054;0d:03fd0fec;#e2$T050f:00100054;0d:03fd0fec;#e2$T050f:00100054;0d:03fd0fec;#e2$T050f:00100054;0d:03fd0fec;#e2$T050f:00100054;0d:03fd0fec;#e2$2

BR,

Augusto Salazar.