Alternative to deprecated_init_ui_hook?

Christopher Faylor
In cleaning up the cygwin gdb shared library handling, I'm now able to
use the "info sharedlibrary" command from solib.c.  Previously this
command was implemented in win32-nat.c but now that is no longer
necessary.

There was previously an alias for this command -- "info dll".  I'm not
having much luck adding this alias now because "info sharedlibrary"
is set up after _initialize_win32 is called in init.cc -- a standard
problem, IIRC.

I've resorted to using deprecated_init_ui_hook to set this alias and that
works but, given that the function begins with the word "deprectated", I
would rather not use this method.

Is there any other way to add this alias, though?  I don't see anything
obvious and I don't want to remove a command that cygwin gdb users may
have become accustomed to.

cgf

Re: Alternative to deprecated_init_ui_hook?

Daniel Jacobowitz-2
On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 12:35:36AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> In cleaning up the cygwin gdb shared library handling, I'm now able to
> use the "info sharedlibrary" command from solib.c.  Previously this
> command was implemented in win32-nat.c but now that is no longer
> necessary.
>
> There was previously an alias for this command -- "info dll".  I'm not
> having much luck adding this alias now because "info sharedlibrary"
> is set up after _initialize_win32 is called in init.cc -- a standard
> problem, IIRC.
>
> I've resorted to using deprecated_init_ui_hook to set this alias and that
> works but, given that the function begins with the word "deprectated", I
> would rather not use this method.
>
> Is there any other way to add this alias, though?  I don't see anything
> obvious and I don't want to remove a command that cygwin gdb users may
> have become accustomed to.

Could you register it as a command rather than an alias, by exporting
the implementing function from solib.c?

Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 08:52:52AM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 12:35:36AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>In cleaning up the cygwin gdb shared library handling, I'm now able to
>>use the "info sharedlibrary" command from solib.c.  Previously this
>>command was implemented in win32-nat.c but now that is no longer
>>necessary.
>>
>>There was previously an alias for this command -- "info dll".  I'm not
>>having much luck adding this alias now because "info sharedlibrary" is
>>set up after _initialize_win32 is called in init.cc -- a standard
>>problem, IIRC.
>>
>>I've resorted to using deprecated_init_ui_hook to set this alias and
>>that works but, given that the function begins with the word
>>"deprectated", I would rather not use this method.
>>
>>Is there any other way to add this alias, though?  I don't see anything
>>obvious and I don't want to remove a command that cygwin gdb users may
>>have become accustomed to.
>
>Could you register it as a command rather than an alias, by exporting
>the implementing function from solib.c?

Yes, if the function in solib.c was made global, I could just call it in
win32-nat.c.  That seems "wrong" somehow, though.

cgf

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 09:37:24AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 08:52:52AM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 12:35:36AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>In cleaning up the cygwin gdb shared library handling, I'm now able to
> >>use the "info sharedlibrary" command from solib.c.  Previously this
> >>command was implemented in win32-nat.c but now that is no longer
> >>necessary.
> >>
> >>There was previously an alias for this command -- "info dll".  I'm not
> >>having much luck adding this alias now because "info sharedlibrary" is
> >>set up after _initialize_win32 is called in init.cc -- a standard
> >>problem, IIRC.
> >>
> >>I've resorted to using deprecated_init_ui_hook to set this alias and
> >>that works but, given that the function begins with the word
> >>"deprectated", I would rather not use this method.
> >>
> >>Is there any other way to add this alias, though?  I don't see anything
> >>obvious and I don't want to remove a command that cygwin gdb users may
> >>have become accustomed to.
> >
> >Could you register it as a command rather than an alias, by exporting
> >the implementing function from solib.c?
>
> Yes, if the function in solib.c was made global, I could just call it in
> win32-nat.c.  That seems "wrong" somehow, though.

I think you need to either do that, or else add the "info dll" alias in
solib.c.  Neither pretty.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC