Aarch64 system registers known to binutils

Aarch64 system registers known to binutils

Jan Beulich-2
Hello,

some time after seeing a051e2f3e0c1 ("[AArch64][gas] Update MTE system
register encodings") I went and checked my own disassembler as well as
gas against the doc, and I think there are a number of omissions in
binutils. The question is whether this is intentional, and registers
get added only as people find a need for having a (direct) way to
access them by name, or whether omissions here are to be considered
bugs.

Thanks for any insight,
Jan

RE: Aarch64 system registers known to binutils

Kyrill Tkachov
Hi Jan,

As far as I know, it is a missing feature and personally I'd be happy to see binutils support more of them as defined in the reference material: https://developer.arm.com/docs/ddi0595/h
Note that some system registers are only accessible at certain architecture levels and extensions and should be diagnosed as such when used with unsuitable command-line options.
Some registers are also read-only or write-only and gas has infrastructure to diagnose bad uses of such registers.

Thanks,
Kyrill