2.30 branch created, snapshot available

Nick Clifton
Hi Guys,

  The 2.30 branch has now been created:

     git clone git://sourceware.org/git/binutils-gdb.git -b binutils-2_30-branch 2.30

  A snapshot of the sources is also available here:

    ftp://sourceware.org/pub/binutils/snapshots/binutils-2.30.tar.xz

  Please could all patches for the branch be run by me.
  The rules for the branch are:

    * No new features.
    * Target specific bug fixes are OK.
    * Generic bug fixes are OK if they are important and widely tested.
    * Documentation updates/fixes are OK.
    * Translation updates are OK.
    * Fixes for testsuite failures are OK.

  Ideally I would like to make the release happen in two weeks time,
  ie Saturday 27th Jan.  Which I hope will be enough time for everyone
  to get their final fixes in.

Cheers
  Nick

Re: 2.30 branch created, snapshot available

Joel Brobecker
>   The 2.30 branch has now been created:
>
>      git clone git://sourceware.org/git/binutils-gdb.git -b binutils-2_30-branch 2.30

And I have updated the crontab on sourceware.org to update
the date of this branch instead of the previous one.

Joel

Re: 2.30 branch created, snapshot available

Matt Rice-2
On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 6:27 AM, Nick Clifton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   A snapshot of the sources is also available here:
>
>     ftp://sourceware.org/pub/binutils/snapshots/binutils-2.30.tar.xz

I wanted to confirm that i built the snapshot on a yacc less machine
with --enable-gold,
so the release process changes from shortly after last release took.

https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2017-09/msg00137.html

Re: 2.30 branch created, snapshot available

Nick Clifton
Hi Joel,

>>   The 2.30 branch has now been created:
>>
>>      git clone git://sourceware.org/git/binutils-gdb.git -b binutils-2_30-branch 2.30
>
> And I have updated the crontab on sourceware.org to update
> the date of this branch instead of the previous one.

Thanks.

Is this something an ordinary person can do ?  If so, would you
mind updating the binutils/README-how-to-make-a-release file with
the details of what needs to be done ?  Or alternatively please
could you add a note along the lines of "ping Joel to ask him
to update the crontab" ?

Cheers
  Nick

Re: 2.30 branch created, snapshot available

Joel Brobecker
> Is this something an ordinary person can do ?  If so, would you
> mind updating the binutils/README-how-to-make-a-release file with
> the details of what needs to be done ?  Or alternatively please
> could you add a note along the lines of "ping Joel to ask him
> to update the crontab" ?

It requires access to the gdbadmin account on sourceware. Not very
many people do, and if you are going to rotate the role of release
manager, it may not be worth adding everyone. I don't mind doing it,
so attached is a patch which adds an action item describing what
needs to be done, and who to contact to get it done when not in
the gdbadmin group.

binutils/ChangeLog:

        * README-how-to-make-a-release: Add reminder to update the
        branch name in gdbadmin's crontab on sourceware.

OK to push to master?

--
Joel

0001-binutils-release-procedure-Add-AI-to-update-branch-n.patch (3K) Download Attachment

Re: 2.30 branch created, snapshot available

Nick Clifton
Hi Joel,

> binutils/ChangeLog:
>
>         * README-how-to-make-a-release: Add reminder to update the
>         branch name in gdbadmin's crontab on sourceware.
>
> OK to push to master?

Yes please.  Thanks very much for doing this.

Cheers
  Nick

Re: 2.30 branch created, snapshot available

Joel Brobecker
> > binutils/ChangeLog:
> >
> >         * README-how-to-make-a-release: Add reminder to update the
> >         branch name in gdbadmin's crontab on sourceware.
> >
> > OK to push to master?
>
> Yes please.  Thanks very much for doing this.

My pleasure :). Pushed to master.

--
Joel