01-19-2006 Meeting minutes

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

01-19-2006 Meeting minutes

Hien Nguyen
Attendees
IBM - Ananth, Prasanna, Maneesh, Jim, Vara, Hien
Intel - Anil, Josh
Redhat - Will, Martin, Frank, Elena
Hitachi - Satoshi

User space probes -
Prasanna posted the patched, and suggested applying all three patches
for completeness. There are several examples on how to test the user
space probes in the posts.
Patches should be applied to kernel v2.6.15-mm4. At this stage the
provided tests are not ready to integrate with the test suite, it will
be later.
Prasanna will post a  couple of how to (insert a probes, calculate the
offset etc...) and update the current issue list.
Prasanna should be working on implementing user space probes until
March, and testing after that until April.
By March 31st - user space probes should have support for all arch
(i386, x86_64, ppc64, ia64).
Anil and Satoshi will review the patch and using the user space probe.
Everyone is welcome to do the same.

OLS paper.
IBM proposes to have a paper on kprobes about new features and enhancements
Systemtap Tutorial - a hand on tutorial on systemtap, 3 or 4 sessions
with break in between. Vara, Jim said Redhat probably  the good
candidate for running the show, IBM will help.
Elena - RH probably will submit something but not thing concrete yet.
The dead line to submit to OLS is Feb 1st., Redhat should have the
answer for the systemtap tutorial by Jan 26th.

LKML Watch - Hien to post last week findings. Redhat will be next and
Will will be watching the list.

Will's test script - Will post an automated test script on the list and
encourage people to use it. If everythign OK, Will will check in the script.
Hien will look into using Will's test script on PPC64

i386 smp test coverage - Anil volunteers to test bug fixes, but regular
testing he needs to check with his manager.

Kprobes and NMI - kprobe on NMI path is an issue, Anil will forward the
conversation to the list.
kretprobes on schedule - resulting memory leak (kretprobe instance).  
Should file a bug report.

kprobes booster: Satoshi wants to post patch upstream. Anil did some
review but can't comment onsome code path. Ananth will review
kprobe-booster. Jim said wait for couple days for comment then go ahead
post it.

Zen - Elena suggests that the group needs to talk about  Zen  in the
next meeting.  Vara  indicates that he could invite someone know about
Zen in IBM to come to the meeting.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 01-19-2006 Meeting minutes

Masami Hiramatsu
Hi,

Hien Nguyen wrote:
> OLS paper.
> IBM proposes to have a paper on kprobes about new features and enhancements

Hitachi would like to write the paper about performance enhancements of
boosters(k*probe-booster) and Binary Transport Interface(BTI).
Could we jointly write the paper with you?

> kprobes booster: Satoshi wants to post patch upstream. Anil did some
> review but can't comment onsome code path. Ananth will review
> kprobe-booster. Jim said wait for couple days for comment then go ahead
> post it.

OK, I'm looking for the comments.

--
Masami HIRAMATSU
2nd Research Dept.
Hitachi, Ltd., Systems Development Laboratory
E-mail: [hidden email]